Recently I received this new Hanna Marine Ammonia Checker for review. Just in time during the fishless cycling of some new aquascape rocks I just built. In the past I would just blindly wait it out per the existing practices which can take up to 45 days. I am accelerating this with a bacteria additive.
The Marine Ammonia checker arrived with all the familiar items: starter Reagents (A,B,C) for 10 tests, 2 cuvettes, dropper and steps similar to the Alkalinity, Calcium , and Phosphate Low checkers I already own. It is very consistent and easy to use with the included Quick Start Card. Note the HI784-25 Refill Kit is for 25 tests.
I was pretty amazed that both cycling tanks are both well below 0.94 ppm of ammonia in just 1 week at the earliest; and at 20 days were down to 0.10 ppm. In the past I would not be too concerned as much with earlier color chart tests that only give you a vague color range of 0.25 ppm intervals.
- Familiar look and simple operation as with most commonly utilized Hanna Checkers (Alkalinity, Calcium, Phosphate)
- Great to read an actual digital value vs. guessing at a color chart
- Majority of the 10 step process time is waiting 15 minutes at the last step.
- Great range and resolution 0.00 – 2.50 ppm @ 0.01ppm
- Quality product as expected from Hanna Instruments
- Maybe a little pricey for many that can get away with old school test kits, but you get the comfort of accuracy and being able to read a value.
- Observation – difficult to remove the bottom cover to initially install the battery without a tool. But this should be the same with all the checkers. Once a battery is inserted the cover would be spring loaded as you unscrew it.
I have bought many of the Hanna Checkers primarily for getting finite values when performing specific tests. This HI7184 Marine Ammonia Checker is no different. This may not be the one that will be used as often since I don’t tend to cycle new systems frequently. Those in the service industry with multiple new systems may find this convenient. The key is that a more accurate tool like this is available and affordable when needed.