It is a fact that cleaning your fish tank or aquarium can be a difficult task as it can be time-consuming and tedious. On the other hand, some aquarium owners don’t even feel like their tank is adequately cleaned by washing it.
It has been seen that most people have plastic siphon gravel vacuums, which are messy. Besides, they also feel difficulty in controlling the tubing. Well, this is another reason why they don’t clean their fish tank very often.
However, if you want to make the process easier and comfortable, there is a way. You can use the electric aquarium gravel cleaners available in the market. Such aquarium cleaners are new, and they have become quite popular for their performance and budget.
You will find these cleaners that are super easy to use. And they are used for different cleaning tasks. But you will have to choose the best one to enjoy maximum benefits. We have listed down the top 10 electric aquarium vacuum gravel cleaners. So, let’s discuss those products in detail.
Types of Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
You have two options of gravel cleaners to clean the aquarium. First is the siphon vacuum cleaners, and the second is the electric aquarium gravel cleaner. Both models have their pros and cons. But it will be up to you to decide which one to choose.
Siphon Gravel Vacuum
One of the most popular vacuums for a fish tank is the siphon gravel vacuum. These machines are quite cheap, and you can easily get these in different sizes. As the gravity will do the work, these are also easy to use.
However, there is a drawback to using siphon gravel vacuums. As it can such up dirt and water, you will have to drain the fish tank whenever you use this vacuum. However, if you are looking for a vacuum while changing the water, this can be an ideal option for you.
Electric Gravel Vacuum
Compared to a siphon gravel vacuum, this can be a little expensive. But the electric models are more powerful and come with different features. The machines are designed to pump the water through a filter to collect debris, water, dirt, and any food.
They don’t drain the aquarium. An electric gravel vacuum will work great when cleaning the fish tank’s bottom section. Well, these machines are generally used with siphon vacuums.
For a smooth and easy tank cleaning experience, the electric aquarium gravel cleaner will be the right option. So, here are some best options that you can try.
10 Best electric aquarium gravel cleaner – Tried & Tested
1. Eheim Quick Vac Automatic Gravel Cleaner
If you are looking for the best overall gravel cleaner for your aquarium, this can be the right option. The device is very handy and is designed to be used while changing the water.
The model is battery-operated. It sucks up the water, filters it through its effective filtration system, and returns it to the fish tank. You can easily eliminate leftover food, plant matter, and solid water when you have this. It submerges up to three feet and is best for a complete aquarium cleaning task.
- It comes with a removable mesh filter
- Includes batteries
- Powerful enough to suck up heavy waste
- Not suitable for fine gravel and sand
- It doesn’t come with a hose
2. NICREW Automatic Gravel Cleaner, Electric Aquarium Cleaner
It is one of the best electric gravel cleaners and comes under your budget. It operates through an electrical plug. However, the cleaner is completely submersible. You need to submerge the water pump to make it work perfectly completed.
You can use this to change the water and remove solid waste. The product comes with an extension nozzle, suction nozzle, and extension tube. And it is perfect for tanks that are around 28 inches deep.
- It operates without any batteries
- Freshwater as well as saltwater safe
- Best value for your money.
- Not ideal for substrates smaller than 2mm.
- It always requires an electrical outlet.
3. Fluval Easy Vac Gravel Cleaner, Small
This product is budget-friendly and comes with a gravel guard to keep the gravel in the fish tank while removing the debris. It supports a hassle-free and quick start and is very easy to use.
The product comes with a non-kinking hose. The best thing is that you can easily access the corners of the tank with its unique oval shape. You will get one cleaning tube and a non-kinking tube with this.
- It comes with a long tube
- Best for removing heavy waste
- Not very durable
- Requires skill to use the product like a vacuum cleaner
4. NICREW Power VAC Plus Electric Gravel Cleaner
It is a 3-in-1 powerful electric gravel cleaner from NICREW that is designed to offer a smooth and complete aquarium maintenance experience.
It comes with a high-quality sponge that can effectively trap the debris. You can use this to remove the particles from the top layer of the substrate. It also features a water flow adjustment system.
- It comes with an easy to use the handle
- Very simple to use.
- Made by a known brand
- You will need a bucket every time you use it.
- Not suitable for small tanks
5. Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System
This aquarium cleaning machine is designed considering the challenges involved in regular water changes. You can eliminate debris and change the water simultaneously without using a bucket as it comes with a long gravel tube. And there is no need to remove your fish from the tank while using it.
- Works perfectly for saltwater and freshwater
- Highly flexible and can be used with different adapters
- Easy to use
- For some users, the cleaning process may feel a little complex
- Some users find it a little expensive
6. Coodia Electric Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
The product has a unique 4 in 1 design and combines a water changer, gravel cleaner, water extractor, and algae cleaner. You can use it for your aquarium’s quick spot maintenance and complete cleaning.
This machine also works perfectly for tanks with a lower water level. Without affecting the gravel’s bottom layer, it can easily eliminate the particles. It functions on a 12V DC and is completely safe to use.
- It comes with a durable fabric-made filter bag
- Includes both large and small suction nozzle a
- Available with fixture clip
- The users will need an electrical outlet
- You can’t use it for water replacement
7. AQQA Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
This automatic gravel cleaner has powerful 6-in-1 functions and works through a long electrical cord. You can use it for improving water flow, water showering, removing solid waste, changing water, and more.
The handle tubing can be easily extended up to 33 inches. In addition, the product includes a substrate washing tube and four heads. The mesh filter bag is durable, and you can extend the handle.
- It comes with a spongy and soft handle grip
- The filter bag is removable
- Ideal for sand as well as other small substrates
- The on and off switch is not waterproof
- It feels a little bulky and heavy to use.
8. Lee’s 6-Inch Slim Jr. Ultra Gravel Vacuum Cleaner
This effective gravel vac made by Lee’s is available at an affordable price, and the size is also impressive. This particular model is good for small fish tanks. However, you go for a larger size based on the size of your aquarium.
The product has a self-starting siphon and offers a simple and easy startup process. The nozzle is wide and can perfectly clean the corners, offering around 20 percent better coverage.
- Very affordable
- Drains and fills water based on your requirements
- Designed to make the cleaning process efficient and faster
- It may not last for long
- Only best for smaller aquariums
9. UPETTOOLS Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
It is not just an aquarium cleaner; you can also change the water. Besides, it can also be used for a water filter, wash sand, enhance water flow, and can be utilized as a shower over your fish tank. The product has a powerful water pump motor using which you can easily pump out your 180-gallon fish tank within just 0.5 hours. It perfectly absorbs dirt, food debris, and fish poop. You will not face any complications while using this machine.
- It comes with five different types of heads
- It supports six different features
- It comes with a removable and washable mesh bag
- Sometimes it fills with air and can take time to begin the suction.
- You will need an outlet to use this
10. KollerCraft TOM Mr Cleaner
This is another popular battery-operated gravel cleaner and provides the users with a useful 3-in-1 aquarium cleaning option. For example, this single product can be used for siphoning dirty water, removing algae, and cleaning the gravel. The product runs on 2 C batteries and is perfect for small fish tanks. However, the tube can be extended to 16 inches from 8 inches.
- The machines work perfectly and are easy to use.
- The price is quite affordable.
- Easy to assemble.
- The users need to angle it properly while cleaning.
- The sock to trap the waste may not work properly.
How to Set Up and Use Your Aquarium Gravel Cleaner?
You don’t have to worry about its setup and use when you have the best aquarium gravel cleaner. And you don’t even need extra products to use it. Here are some easy-to-follow steps on how to use the product.
- First of all, ensure you have all the required things, i.e., a gravel vacuum, siphon kit or gravel cleaner, and a bucket.
- You don’t have to worry about the fish while using these products. But to avoid any unwanted issues, you should move out the aquarium decorations.
- The cleaners generally utilize gravity to suck debris and filter the water. To begin the process, make sure that the end of the hose is inside a bucket. Then submerge the other end of the tube inside your aquarium. Then raise the tube to make the water flow through the hose. In the case of an electronic cleaner, you can just press the power on button, and the machine will suck the water and debris.
- Now, properly insert the siphon into the gravel and allow it to vacuum up the substrate. The machine can easily remove both light and heavy debris.
- Once done, you can remove the siphon from the water. Now you can refill your aquarium with clean water.
How Often Should You Use Your Aquarium Vacuum Cleaner?
As per the experts, to keep the water clean and maintain the pH level of the water for the fish, you can vacuum the tank regularly. However, you can also use your aquarium vacuum cleaner once a week.
However, you should make sure that you have removed all the tank décor. Vacuuming your tank provides you with an easy and quick way to change the water regularly.
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Buying an Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
1. Check the power source
While buying an electric vacuum for your aquarium, you will get two options, i.e., battery operated and electrically operated. The battery-operated models are easier to use, but you will have to change the battery after a certain period.
Besides, while using it, you need to ensure that the tank water is not getting into the battery compartment. Electrically-powered gravel cleaners are very powerful and offer more useful features than battery-operated machines. Check the pros and cons of both models before choosing one.
Some types of vacuum are designed to be used with certain types of gravel. And if you use the wrong product for fine-grained substrates, such as dirt or sand, this can clog the motor.
Many electrically powered gravel vacuums may not work for this. So, check it properly and choose a compatible gravel vacuum cleaner. For that, you can go through the product description mentioned on the buying site.
3. Understand the size of your tank
In general, the electric gravel vacuums work perfectly with a submerged water pump. However, if the pump is not completely submerged, the machine will not work. The motor may also get damaged if it is not under the water in some cases. As per the experts, if you are using a tank of 3-gallon, then using an electrical aquarium vacuum is not a good thing.
If you have a larger tank, like a 100 to 150-gallon tank, this type of vacuum cleaner will work great.
4. What about the tank’s inhabitants?
There are some types of invertebrates and fish that like the substrate. So, you will have to understand it while cleaning the tank. It is a fact that the electrical models can produce more suction power compared to a siphon-action vacuum.
So, if your tank has a lot of snails or fish that prefer to burrow, you should go for the traditional way of cleaning the tank. The powerful suction can kill animals or plants.
5. Use of the vacuum cleaner
Before buying an electric aquarium vacuum gravel cleaner, you should understand the purpose of the cleaner. For example, a simple model will do the task if you only want to clear the solid waste.
However, to complete multiple tasks, go for a product that offers 6-in-1 type functions. You should remember that all the multi-function products are not good in quality and just offer more functions. Check your budget and maintenance requirements and get the right one for you.
When buying the electric gravel cleaner, you will find many options. But it is important to choose only the best one. With the best product, you can keep your tank clean without hassle.
Not only do these machines help in dislodging the dirt build up in your aquarium, but they also help in changing the water without affecting your fish. If you don’t already have this vacuum cleaner, we suggest getting one today. The products are inexpensive, and you will get more time to take care of your fish.
If you are looking for the best, then Eheim Quick Vac Aquarium Gravel Cleaner can be the right option for you. It is budget-friendly, handy, and offers a faster fish tank cleaning experience. However, all the products that are covered in this review are good.
Just understand your requirements and budget and get the best to make the aquarium maintenance quick and easier. Go on and place your order now.